Send an email on . . .

I have a few systems spread out geographically and would like to know what
might be the best way, in real time, to fire off email alerts or text
messages when a particular logon happens or some text is written to syslog
at the local system?

I've read about swatch and logwatch so far but the documentation I've
found is older. Are these the current best tools? Or can someone point me
at something that worked better than them that was not a full blown
commercial IDS?