Re: SMART configuration

T o n g wrote:
> I noticed that SMART configuration has changed dramatically since last
> time I looked into it.
>
> Anyone care to explain how to configure SMART for a simple task as
> regular selftests on sda please?

Edit /etc/smartd.conf, read the DEVICESCAN comment and then comment
out the first DEVICESCAN line.

  # Most users should comment out DEVICESCAN and explicitly
  # list the devices that they wish to monitor.
  #DEVICESCAN -d removable -n standby ...

Then scroll down to the first hda line, copy it, uncomment it, change
it from hda to sda.  The comments there explain:

  # Monitor all attributes, enable automatic online data collection,
  # automatic Attribute autosave, and start a short self-test every
  # day between 2-3am, and a long self test Saturdays between 3-4am.
  /dev/sda -a -d sat -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

(Or use whatever schedule seems reasonable to you.  This one seems
pretty good to me.)

Edit /etc/default/smartmontools and set:

  start_smartd=yes

Then restart the daemon.

  # /etc/init.d/smartmontools restart

Bob