Re: Why is troubleshooting Linux so hard?

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 02:00 -0400, Borden Rhodes wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I'm going to list some of the frustrations I've been having with
> troubleshooting Linux's quirks, crashes and problems in hopes that someone may
> be able to help me (and the community) become better bug reporters and
> troubleshooters.<snip>
Very interesting and helpful post.  Thank you.  I've snipped most of it
out for the sake of those for whom long emails are a problem or
expensive.

As someone without deep troubleshooting experience, I'll be curious to
see the responses.  The only thing I can help with is the old log
information.  Linux usually rotates the logs.  As I'd imagine you've
seen, you can find compressed versions of the logs, e.g., messages.1,
message.2.gz - John