Re: Corrupted FS every 50 checks

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:58:33 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

>> Do you actualy FIX those errors? Afaik the fsck at startup does not fix
>> all errors (it plays safe). Try run fsck manualy (but make a backup
>> first and read the man-page).
>
> The control for this is in /etc/default/rcS with the FSCKFIX variable.
> If it is set to no then no fix happens.

To be more precisely, "autorepair" is done. I.e., minor problems are
fixed.

Judging from the man page, the OP's problem is still mysterious to me.
When startup fsck doing autorepair, the result should be either, 1)
problems fixed, or 2) bail out and drop to root shell prompt if there are
major inconsistencies. Is there a third stage, ie, problems remains but
boot process just continue on?

> Note that if it is set to no on a remote server that you do not have
> console access to then it is possible to get into a state where the
> machine will not reboot on its own because it will be waiting for
> console access to get past the fsck questions.

So remote servers mostly set FSCKFIX to yes?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/