Creating a bootable USB key

Hello,

I'm trying to use a usb key as installation media. I followed the instructions given here earlier but Unetbootin but did not produce a bootable stick. When trying to boot with that stick I get an error that says "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found". I tried running it again but that didn't work either. There seems to be lots of *notes* about creating bootable usb sticks scattered around various places, but none of the ones I have read give complete information. Is anyone who knows how this is done willing to write instructions?

I'm not subscribed to the debian-user list. Please reply to my e-mail address.