Re: building 2.6.35

On 2010-08-12 18:10 +0200, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> Isn't there a risk in granting user access to src, adm, and such if
> ever your user account is compromised?

This depends on how the computer is used, I suppose.  On personal
desktops/laptops, giving intruders access to these groups is the least
of your worries, because your private data are 1000 times more
sensitive.

> My uninformed opinion is that
> it's a question of relative risk; the 'risk' involved in building
> kernels as root, versus the risk involved in giving access to these
> dirs and tools should your account become compromised.

The kernel releases are cryptographically signed¹, and it is certainly a
good idea to verify them before building and installing a kernel.

Sven

¹ http://www.kernel.org/signature.html