Re: building 2.6.35

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:33:12 -0400 (EDT), Bob Proulx wrote:

> If it is your own machine then you should certainly be in the 'src'
> group and then you would have access to /usr/src as your own normal
> user self.  And if you don't know about src then you probably don't
> know about 'staff' and 'adm' either.  The staff group gets you access
> to /usr/local and adm gets you read-only browsing capability to
> /var/log/*.  You probably want all three.
>
>   $ sudo adduser zlinuxman adm
>   $ sudo adduser zlinuxman src
>   $ sudo adduser zlinuxman staff
>
> Then log out.  At login you will be set to those additional groups.
> With those in place you can work as yourself in those areas.  Safer
> than using root since as yourself you can't smash anything in the
> system directories /etc or /bin or /var or other system locations.
> This makes installing local software through 'make install' much safer
> and more contained when not done as root.  If one were to crawl out of
> /usr/local for example you would see the failure.  If you were running
> as root then you would not.

I do know about groups, but I don't necessarily know the intended
purpose of all of the pre-defined groups in a Linux system.  Where
can I find documentation for that?

Still, I should have noticed that the /usr/src directory was owned
by user root and by group src.  For some reason, I never made that
connection.  That's a great tip, thanks.  I will have to play around
with this.  If I can get everything to work, then the next revision
of my kernel building web page will be revised accordingly.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :