Re: maintainer not responding

On Vi, 06 aug 10, 12:36:17, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Patrick Ouellette <pat@flying-gecko.net> wrote:
> > I think you may be missing the poing a bit.  A 'TODO' list is nice,
> > but what is stopping YOU from forwarding the information to upstream
> > or checking the upstream project to see if they know about the issue?
> >

> What was stopping me was the assumption that forwarding bugs could
> only be done by a maintainer.  But it makes sense that there is no reason
> why I could not discuss these bugs with the upstream authors and report back.

Bugs can be manipulated by anyone, not just the maintainer.

> > What SPECIFIC package(s) in the list do YOU use, and what SPECIFIC
> > issues are YOU having?
> >
> > I'm not saying all the bugs don't need to be addressed, but it is a
> > lot easier to motivate people when someone has a specific need rather
> > than picking a developer's package set and complaining about every one
> > of the packages with a bug report.
> >

> I should focus my efforts on a micro rather than a macro level.
>
> > Again I ask YOU what efforts have YOU made to contact the maintainer?
>
> I have not attempted to contact the maintainer in any way other than through
> bug reports.  And the bug reports as well as these messages are sent to the
> email for the maintainer.  Is there some other method I should use?

Your "quest" seems directed towards a particular Maintainer. My guess is
you are probably more familiar with the packages on you own machine. Try
rc-alert and/or wnpp-alert (finding the package containing these is left
as an exercise to the potential contributor).

Regards,
Andrei