Re: When is best time to upgrade lenny to squeeze

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 01:09:17PM -0400, PaulNM wrote:
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> >On 6.8.2010 18:35, PaulNM wrote:
> >>    If you'll be running the VM only when logged in, virtualbox is
> >>definitely preferred. If you need to run headless servers that start
> >>automatically on bootup, qemu is the way to go.
> >>

> >I use VirtualBox just like you described, but I use VMWare Server 2.0
> >for the headless servers. Is qemu somehow better? My host is a Windows 7
> >64bit.
> >

> 	Qemu was a lighter weight alternative to Virtualbox for me.  My
> company was experimenting with freenas, which was originally on an
> actual box. I moved it to a VM on another 24/7 Debian box to save on
> power usage, and needed the VM to start every time the Debian box
> started.
>
> 	If you're familiar and comfortable with VMWare, use it.  VMWare and
> Virtualbox virtualize cpu calls, while qemu emulates the entire
> processor.  This means qemu is much more flexible in what it can
> run, but also slower.

If the processor has VT extensions, qemu can use 2 different modules to bypass emulation :
- kqemu on x86, without specifique processor extensions
- kvm on x86 with VT extensions and becom a Fully Virtualized Environnement.

$ aptitude show kqemu-source
Paquet : kqemu-source
[...]
Description : Source for the QEMU Accelerator module
 This package provides the source code for the kqemu kernel modules. The qemu package is also required in order to make use of
 these modules. Kernel source or headers are required to compile these modules.

 The QEMU Accelerator Module increases the speed of QEMU when a PC is emulated on a PC. It runs most of the target application
 code directly on the host processor to achieve near native performance. It is very useful when you want to run another
 Operating System (for example Windows) on a Linux desktop.
Site : http://www.qemu.org/

$ aptitude show qemu-kvm
Paquet : qemu-kvm
[...]
Description : Full virtualization on x86 hardware
 Using KVM, one can run multiple virtual PCs, each running unmodified Linux or Windows images. Each virtual machine has
 private virtualized hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, etc.

 KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution for Linux hosts on x86 hardware with x86 guests. KVM
 is intended for systems where the processor has hardware support for virtualization, see below for details. All combinations
 of 32-bit and 64-bit host and guest systems are supported, except 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts.

 KVM requires your system to support hardware virtualization, provided by AMD's SVM capability or Intel's VT. See
 /usr/share/doc/qemu-kvm/README.Debian for more information.
Site : http://www.linux-kvm.org/

Another side note, you have several management tools to help you manage
your VMs:
- virt-manager
- qemulator
And a little ad for Proxmox here :-)