Re: When is best time to upgrade lenny to squeeze

Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

On 08/04/2010 08:31 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
What do you do if you had access to just one machine (say your personal
laptop) and don't have the luxury of running multiple machines (one for
testing and one for production etc.,)? Sometimes, it is better/practical to
jump the wagon little bit ahead of time and do some testing, before
settling down with the stable version for the next 2-3 years.

I think in that case, you should leave the testing up to the people who
do. There is a wide variety of virtualization software now that can be
used for this kind of testing.

Virtualbox for example can run entirely off software, without the need
for virtualization support in the CPU (although much slower).

While I agree with this suggestion, be aware that virtualbox cannot run 64-bit guests unless the processor has VT extensions. If you must run a 64-bit guest and don't have a 64-bit processor with VT extentions, use qemu. That can actually emulate different processors, like ppc and sparc. I've even run a small 64-bit guest on a 32-bit host (Pentium 4), though it was very slow.

If you'll be running the VM only when logged in, virtualbox is definitely preferred. If you need to run headless servers that start automatically on bootup, qemu is the way to go.

- -- Jordan Metzmeier

Hope this helps,
	PaulNM