Re: Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On 2010-08-05 20:08 +0200, Javier Vasquez wrote:

> That's right.  Actually I always look for full resolution on console.
> Before KMS, for some cards I had to load the corresponding module
> through /etc/modules and for some of those, I also had to provide the
> resolution parameters through /etc/modprobe.d/<card_module>.conf.  KMS
> seems to always look for full resolution, so I've removed the stuff
> from modules and modprobe.conf.  Notice some times uvesafb was the
> only alternative to get required resolution, :-)

I remember the times when I fiddled around with uvesafb on my laptop
which has i915 graphics.  "Of course" the crappy BIOS does not even
support the native resolution of the display, so I had to "fix" that
with 915resolution first.  I even wrote custom scripts that did this
from the initramfs to reduce the number of video mode changes.  KMS was
a big relief for me.

> When you have bigger resolution on console, you need bigger fonts.
> The recommendation Sven provided is the correct one (dpkg-reconfigure
> console-setup).  However console-tools doesn't handle some fonts sizes
> for some particular fonts, and thus, the solution is just to use
> original kbd instead (which seems to support more fonts sizes).  This
> has been required even before KMS showed up, unless you didn't care
> about getting full/bigger resolution on console...

I ditched console-tools when it suddenly started to switch to tty6 upon
boot¹.  Moving to kbd solved that problem and some others as well.

> As an additional suggestion, I recommend using console-terminus (if
> you want you can also try xfonts-terminus), so you select it as well
> when running dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, :-)

I did not mention console-terminus because console-setup already depends
on it, but it has some nice fonts indeed.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570338