Re: Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On 2010-08-05 19:26 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>> >
>> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
>> height of 32 and then rebooted.  The boot screen and initial scripts
>> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>>
>> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
>> fonts.  There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
>> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
>> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
>> kbd-compat was already installed.
>>
>> What now?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
> /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

This is not a solution but rather a workaround that may stop working at
some time in the future when xserver-xorg-video-radeon starts to
_require_ KMS.  Beside, it already won't work for Nvidia cards if you
want to use the Nouveau X driver.  So far, Thomas has not told anything
about his graphics card.

> The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
> I had before doing the above.

The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.

Sven