Re: SD card question

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:34:52 +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:

>> Do you have a link to the firmware upgrade instructions so we can
>> review the full process and the required steps?
>
> Mixing answers to save space.
>
> Kobo ereader. They tend to upgrade using win desktop app over usb
> adapter. Some canadian stores got SD card to un- brick devices after
> failed upgrade. Image is not "regular" one, but has 100% of success.

Did they provide any instructions on how to proceed with the upgrade?

>> Ext3 is not very common under windows/mac systems and Fat32 tend to be
>> the norm for these devices. Are you sure the SD card has to be
>> formatted using ext3?
>
> Yes.

Mmm, okay :-)

>> SD cards come from factory with Fat32, so I would reformat the SD card
>> with ext3, just in case :-?
>
> I did. I simply made "mkfs.ext3 /dev/whatever". No fdisk first. That is
> the question I ask. Do I need that fdisk first or not?

As root, "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" ("sdx" → adjust it to point the SD device)
and check what it says.

"fdisk" is for creating partitions and I suppose there must be already
one created for the SD card, if not, you had experiencing problems for
mounting (and accesisng) to its contents which doesn't seem to be the
case.

>> Maybe the error comes from another place. Are you getting any message
>> or warning on the e-book when trying to perform the firmware upgrade?
>
> It should be normal to not be able to mount vfat partition as ext3 one.
> I expected an error and I got it. So far. so good. Mounting as ext3 was
> fine.

Yes, but I was referring when you click any button/option to proceed with
the "upgrade". Did you get any error? What steps did you follow (you
inserted the SD card with the required files on it, and then... what
happened)?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón