Re: How can I emulate Debian for PowerPC on Intel processor?

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:03:55AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> The interesting question is what "flavor" of PowerPC?  There are
> NewWorld Macs, OldWorld Macs, and a few flavors of IBM and embedded
> powerPC, each with their own boot firmware interface.
>
> I've never used qemu, but I'm told it provides an emulated PPC VM.
> But I have no idea of which boot firmware it emulates, if any.
> Anybody know?

It actually emulates several different types of PPCs:

  lakeview ok % qemu-system-ppc -M '?'
  Supported machines are:
  mpc8544ds  mpc8544ds
  bamboo     bamboo
  ref405ep   ref405ep
  taihu      taihu
  mac99      Mac99 based PowerMAC
  g3beige    Heathrow based PowerMAC (default)
  prep       PowerPC PREP platform

As far as actual firmware, I believe it's Open Firmware, either through
openbios-ppc or openhackware.  A long time ago, I tried to install Mac
OS X 10.1 but was unsuccessful.