Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:02:30 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Not to worry. Cheap printers are designed to die fast, so in a year or
> two you'll be shopping for a new printer anyway. When you do, be sure to
> check the hplip compatibility page *first*, and only buy a printer that
> has *full* hplip support. It's what I did prior to buying my last
> inkjet, and I must say I've never regretted it since (well, with the
> exception of the cartridge prices which are a ripoff.)
>
> I simply don't buy any hardware that isn't well supported in GNU/Linux:
> I've learned that doing my research *first* is waaay better than pulling
> my hair out and flooding Linux support forums later.
>
> For what it's worth, by purchasing a Linux-compatible device I increase
> its market success by 1 unit, so I also "send a message" to the
> manufacturers (well, sort of).
>
> P.S. Could you please trim your posts?

Actually this printer has been used for 4-5 years now and it still
appears to be going strong. It seems I got lucky???

I appreciate HP products, but I feel these issues are not particularly on
the top of your mind while shopping for a printer. Especially considering
that I already knew that HP printers are supported.

Linux awareness is pretty low in India generally even though it's
popularity is rising. Determining the level of support for a device is
more information than I can expect from a salesman leave alone a
technician. (I buy my products from a dealer, not HP directly.)

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)