Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.

Robert Holtzman schreef:
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 06:03:37PM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
On 7/28/10 4:40 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
What was the reason for that? The usual plan is to put /home, at least,
on a separate partition.

The *usual* plan is to put it on a separate drive (but since debian
can't judge how smart a user is ~ they put it on the same drive
different partition) or if you use network storage, to keep it on
the same drive in the same partition.  Not everybody runs critical
systems or even stores anything in /home.  I know on my Debian
installs nothing is in /home/username.

Dandy *if* you have two drives. How many home users would that be?
Also, multiple partitions lose their usefulness for a single-user linux machine. I do not run a mail server which justifies a separate /var, ans since I can fill /usr or /etc just as well as /home, there's no real reason to create multiple partitions. The only exception of course is a separate /boot to avoid boot problems.

Sjoerd