Question regarding libgtk2.0-dev on Linux

Hi,

I'm getting this error message when compiling pidgin:

'You must have GTK+ 2.10.0 or newer development headers installed to compile Pidgin....'

Then I downloaded libgtk2.0-dev (libgtk2.0-dev_2.12.12-1~lenny2_ia64.deb) from packages.debian.org.

Untarred the file and got control.tar.gz, data.tar.gz, debian-binary file.
Untarred those files and received more folders and files (ie. bin, include, lib, control, md5sums, etc.).

For installing the libgtk2.0-dev, am I suppose to move those untarred files to the respective location (ie. bin-->dh_gtkmodules) or am I suppose to type in the command like 'sudo apt-get install ...'

Please give me as much details as possible because I am new at this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Phil