Re: Question regarding libgtk2.0-dev on Linux

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:01:11 +0000
phil vu <jtutor5@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm getting this error message when compiling pidgin:
> 'You must have GTK+ 2.10.0 or newer development headers installed to
> compile Pidgin....' Then I downloaded libgtk2.0-dev
> (libgtk2.0-dev_2.12.12-1~lenny2_ia64.deb) from packages.debian.org.
> Untarred the file and got control.tar.gz, data.tar.gz, debian-binary
> file.Untarred those files and received more folders and files (ie.
> bin, include, lib, control, md5sums, etc.).
>
> For installing the libgtk2.0-dev, am I suppose to move those untarred
> files to the respective location (ie. bin-->dh_gtkmodules) or am I
> suppose to type in the command like 'sudo apt-get install ...'
>
> Please give me as much details as possible because I am new at this.
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Phil

typically you should just have to :

apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

however, if for some reason, you are installing manually then :

dpkg -i libgtk2.0-dev_2.12.12-1~lenny2_ia64.deb

should do the trick.  be aware that you have to execute those as
super-user, i.e. run "su -".

HTH