Re: python-twisted-core on my machines inexplicably still old, breaking installation of python-twisted

On Du, 25 iul 10, 19:55:45, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 19:16 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > On Du, 25 iul 10, 12:37:28, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >>
> >> Which architecture is that?  On i386, I only see 10.1.0-1 in the latest
> >> Packages.bz2 from ftp.at.debian.org.
> >
> > amd64
>
> Thanks, I see.  The problem is that the twisted source package (which
> builds the python-twisted binary package) has not been uploaded yet on
> amd64, and even though python-twisted is an arch:all package, it is kept
> at the old version.

I must be misunderstanding something here, because AFAIK source packages
don't really care about my *binary* arch. On the mirrors there are
'binary-amd64', 'binary-i386 directories', but only one 'source'
directory. Which also explains why this works:

$ LANG=C apt-get source python-twisted
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Picking 'twisted' as source package instead of 'python-twisted'
Need to get 1661kB of source archives.
Get:1 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (dsc) [1226B]
Get:2 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (tar) [1648kB]
Get:3 http://debian.mirrors.crysys.hu sid/main twisted 10.1.0-1 (diff) [12.2kB]
Fetched 1661kB in 0s (1907kB/s)
dpkg-source: info: extracting twisted in twisted-10.1.0
dpkg-source: info: unpacking twisted_10.1.0.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: info: applying twisted_10.1.0-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: info: upstream files that have been modified:
 twisted-10.1.0/twisted/scripts/tap2deb.py

> Previously, an arch:all package was in sync on all arches, but since
> that often created uninstallabilities when foo (arch:any) depended on
> foo-common (arch:all) of the same source version and foo was not built
> yet, the ftp-masters changed that.

Ok, this I understood :)

> In this case this has the undesirable side effect that packages from a
> _different_ source package depend on the new version of
> python-twisted-core, making them uninstallable on amd64.

Based also on you previous paragraph it would mean that some binary
package built from the source 'twisted' has not been built on amd64
(yet). Let's see...
Oh, it seems the Maintainer uploaded 10.1.0-2 today and I'm unable to
find the build status for 10.1.0-1 anymore, but according to
packages.debian.org the culprits seem to be python-twisted-bin and
python-twisted-bin-dbg and indeed, they are missing from the mirror.

Thanks for the explanation, +1 informative ;)

Regards,
Andrei