startx can't get into VT7 any more

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 03:26:57 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> Due to some unknown error to me, having quit my malfunctioning X, my
> startx can't get into vt07 any more, but only into vt08.

Correction and further reports.

1st correction, this happens even after I quit X normally --

. I use startx to start my fluxbox,
. then exit fluxbox right after it's fully loaded.

The problem already happens now: I can now switch to VT7 by CTRL-ALT-F7,
and get a black text screen. Any thing I typed show up as text characters
in VT7. Switch to VT8 by CTRL-ALT-F8 merely gives me a blank screen in
which I can't type anything.

If I use startx to start my X again, it's started in VT8:

>From /var/log/Xorg.1.log

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux coral 2.6.33-grml64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri
Apr 2 10:19:25 UTC 2010 x86_64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda5 ro vga=normal nouveau.modeset=0
. . .
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(II) Loader magic: 0x7c43e0
(II) Module ABI versions:
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
        X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
        X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
        X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(++) using VT number 8
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(--) PCI:*(0:0:13:0) 10de:03d0:1565:1405 nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce
6150SE nForce 430] rev 162, Mem @ 0xfb000000/16777216,
0xe0000000/268435456, 0xfc000000/16777216, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
. . .

- If VT8 is occupied, or using 'startx -- :0', startx start X in VT7 just
fine.

I'm wondering if there is a fix to the problem.

The problem is caused by kernel update -- I upgraded a single package,
my  kernel (from v2.6.28 to v2.6.33), then I rebooted immediately, and
met with the problem right away.

While trying to solve the problem myself, I found this thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/382426/focus=382469

My linux terminal was displaying tiny text as well. I fixed that by
blacklist the nouveau module and use the nouveau.modeset=0 kernel
parameter. Moreover, I installed the latest nvidia-kernel-common package.

But my problem still remains.

Please help.

Thanks

--