Re: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko' in 2.6.32-5-686 kernel

On 2010-07-18 21:02 +0200, Greg Madden wrote:

> Thanks, what I don't understand though is why when gcc is installed it does a
> symlink to gcc-4.4, on Squeeze.

Because gcc-4.4 is the default compiler, but the kernel has been
compiled with gcc-4.3 (mainly to avoid regressions that may show up when
building the kernel with the newer compiler).

That the kernel folks are rather insane and insist on building
third-party modules with the same GCC version as the kernel is another
problem (consider what would happen if libraries were handled that way).

> It could be an issue with using non-Debian
> sources as they do fail because they look at 'usr/bin/gcc' and whatever it is
> liked to.

They should look at the CC environment variable first.  I don't quite
know if/how Debian's linux-kbuild infrastructure takes care of setting
that, but there is a file
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-$flavour/.kernelvariables in the
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-$flavour package that seems to set CC.

Sven