Re: Debian way to essentially call block phone number

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:37:55 -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone runs a system that essentially blocks unwanted
> calls from a list of programmed phone numbers. I have the caller display
> option on my phones service that returns the phone number of most
> incoming calls.

(...)

Ah, you look for the "Holy Grail" that any sacrified user around the
world is also seeking to reject/discard unwanted/spam telemarketing
calls :-)

Well, I know there are some solutions (scripts or plugins) to achieve
this for "VOIP" integrated solutions (such Asterisk) but I dunno if there
is something similar for standalone applications :-?

Oh... look, a Google search returned this:

***
Telemarketing (Junk) Call Blocker
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcblock/

Program: jcblock

A program to block telemarketing (junk) calls.

A program to block telemarketing (junk) calls.
This program connects to a serial port modem and listens for
the caller ID string that is sent between the first and second
rings. It records the string in file callerID.dat. It then
reads strings from file whitelist.dat and scans them against
the caller ID string for a match. If it finds a match it accepts
the call. If a match is not found, it reads strings from file
blacklist.dat and scans them against the caller ID string for a
match. If it finds a match to a string in the blacklist, it sends
an off-hook command (ATH1) to the modem, followed by an on-hook
command (ATH0). This terminates the junk call.
***

I have not tested but sounds very good :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón