Re: simple way to securely destroy deleted files in a file system

When the date was Friday 16 of July 2010, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

> On 07/15/2010 08:46 PM, Michael Iatrou wrote:
> > I am skeptical whether there is any good reason for tools like wipe2fs,
> > zerofree and friends (if there are any...), when a dd && sync && rm
> > have the same result.
>
> You could say this about many things. These commands make things
> convenient. Why do those things manually when software can do it for you?
>
> Example:
>
> Under the same logic I could say that there no good reason for dget. I
> can manually wget the .dsc, .tar.orig and .changes to accomplish the
> same thing... but why when I can just dget the .dsc?

This is rather a philosophical question than a technical one: it is part of
UNIX mentality to have simple tools that can be put together to complete
complicated tasks. Practically seen, if the original poster was educated
with the principles of UNIX design, he wouldn't try to find a specialized
tool to perform a simple task.

Just my 2cents.

--
 Michael Iatrou