Re: thinking of installing amd64 Debian: what is its current state?

On 07/12/2010 10:19 PM, H.S. wrote:
> I am thinking of reinstalling my Debian system with Testing for amd64
> architecture. Currently I have 32 bit Debian installed on my AMD 64 bit
> AM3 socket motherboard.
>
> I understand that I just have to reinstall my system with the correct
> architecture install media. My /home is on a separate partition so I
> supposed I do not need to touch it. Correct?
>
> What packages would cause me trouble in 64 bit Debian? I do not use
> acroread and flash player can work with ndiswrapper. Other than these
> two, are there any other packages that won't run on this arch
> installation? Is there a wiki which keep track of these things regarding
> the 64 bit version?
>
> Thanks.

As others have said, I too am using 64 bit Debian on an AMD system and
have had no issues with software.

For at least some 32 bit software, you can install 32 bit libraries
which will allow you to run them directly.

My system is not with me, so I can't give you the exact package name,
but I think if you search for "32 bit support on 64 bit system", or
something similar, you should find what is needed.

--
Bob McGowan