Re: thinking of installing amd64 Debian: what is its current state?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 01:19:34AM -0400, H.S. wrote:

> I understand that I just have to reinstall my system with the correct
> architecture install media. My /home is on a separate partition so I
> supposed I do not need to touch it. Correct?

Yes, but remember to select manual partitioning when you install to
prevent the installation process to overwritek your home partition.  And
make a full backup of that partition first in case something goes wrong.

> What packages would cause me trouble in 64 bit Debian?

I have been using 64-bit Debian and Ubuntu systems for a long time and
the only thing I cannot do is using my scanner for which there is no
opensource driver and only a 32-bit linux driver. I have solved this
problem by running a 32-bit system in VirtualBoX so whenever I want to
scan, I do it from the 32-bit guest.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be
      content with such things as ye have: for he hath said,
      I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
                              Hebrews 13:5