Re: No lvm2 volumes after kernel update

On Monday 12 July 2010 17:53:56 Konstantin Kletschke wrote:
> Well the update itself did run very well, grub2 loads new kernel and
> ramdisk and iniiates to start userspace. There pvscan detects no
> physical volumes anymore all of a sudden. Booting the old kernel again
> runs well and the bos comes up and pvscan works and the logical volumes
> are mounted and working in the end.
>
> The old kernel is a debian packge:
>
> 2.6.17-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 31 12:53:18 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> The new kernel is also debian package:
>
> linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
>
> Additional the versions of the following packages may be relevant:
>
> lvm2: 2.02.39-7
> libdevmapper1.02.1: 2:1.02.27-4
> udev: 0.098-2
>
> Kind Regards, Konsti
Are you using the kernel to autodetect the LVM volumes (using type 0xfd). It
does not handle the volumes well, about a week ago, it *corrupted* my array
because it couldn't distinguish the superblocks of /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1.
Finally, I used userspace tools (mdadm) to detect my array by specifying the
arrays in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Also, did you specify any of /dev/hd? in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf? The new kernel
treats IDE devices as SATA devices so you will use /dev/sd? to specify the
hard disks.