No lvm2 volumes after kernel update

Hello,

I tried to do a Kernel update on an (mainly) lenny box after it had an
uptime of over 400 days. This means quite old Box with old kernel meets
bleeding edge modern stuff. Additionally I moved from lilo to grub2 (if
that is from concern).

Well the update itself did run very well, grub2 loads new kernel and
ramdisk and iniiates to start userspace. There pvscan detects no
physical volumes anymore all of a sudden. Booting the old kernel again
runs well and the bos comes up and pvscan works and the logical volumes
are mounted and working in the end.

The old kernel is a debian packge:

2.6.17-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Aug 31 12:53:18 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

The new kernel is also debian package:

linux-image-2.6.32-5-686

Additional the versions of the following packages may be relevant:

lvm2: 2.02.39-7
libdevmapper1.02.1: 2:1.02.27-4
udev: 0.098-2

The box is a headless production system in a server hosting farm so I
sadly was not able to investigate the situation proper, pvscan simply
did not found any volumes.

What can cause this error, what of my packages is too old to trigger
such behaviour? Is there a save way upgradig from this situation to a
modern kernel?

Kind Regards, Konsti