Re: [info] grub2

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:05:53 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> They can "move on" without hurting users >:-(
>
> Hmm...  Is there something in particular that makes grub different from
> any other random project?

Yes. There are not many bootloaders out there with the same capabilities
that show GRUB :-)

Besides, GRUB (legacy and 2) if the default bootloader in many linux
distriburions, as well as BSD and OpenSolaris. It manages well with many
different environments, is very flexible and powefull so it tends to be
the preferred bootloader choice in many places.

> Does every project need to keep every version
> of their history available and online for all time? Most don't.

Any project should care their history. In fact, their history is what
they are. And every release has to have documentation, relase notes, faq,
etc... Sure, they can keep it off-line and hide it from anyone but having
that information and make it publicly available is a "plus" that many
user value more that even other things.

Did you hear recently about Debian's snapshot archive?

http://snapshot.debian.org

That kind of initiatives makes me think why Debian is starting to like me
so much :-)

> How is 'grub' different from say 'grep'?  Should 'grep' keep all
> versions of its historical documentation online?  If the distro happens
> to have an older version of 'grep' installed but the GNU version is
> newer are they bad because they don't keep the older documentation
> online?  What makes 'grub' special?
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/

How GRUB is different from "grep"? I dunno, but I can tell you how
different is GRUB legacy from GRUB2 and bootloader is far long more
important that a command line utility like grep. If you cannot boot your
system you cannot even "grep-for-nothing" >:-)

>> Hey, we are talking about "documentation", not the full project. GRUB
>> legacy code will be still available while not actively developed,
>> that's fine, at least for me it makes sense. But deleting the online
>> documentacion just because the project is old/deprecated... wow, I
>> cannot understand that decision.
>
> Isn't that just standard operating procedure?  Don't most projects
> update in place?  Should 'gawk' also keep the documentation for older
> versions online?
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/

I'm unaware of any "stantard procedure" here. I kwon about "good
decisions" or "bad decisions" and removing the online documentaion for
older projects is, from my point of view, a very bad decision.

>> Anyway, GRUB legacy is still installed by default in some major
>> distributions (i.e., openSUSE).
>
> Then if it benefits their users isn't the responsibility of OpenSuSE to
> provide documentation that matches their distribution?  (And I would say
> the same about Debian.)

Yes, in fact they are doing it right now. But major distributions can
provide tips/tweaks for configuring the bootloader under their own
systems, but that is not what I am talking here. I would like to query
the official GRUB legacy documentation online. We are talking about just
"a link", I don't think anyone can object about that, being a non
resource expensive and non work-force required task.

>> > True.  But you can always quote the parts to which you are referring.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Not always. I can be on non-linux system without access to any "man
>> grub" nor "info grub" :-/
>
> For me I wouldn't ever be on such a system.  :-) :-)

You're lucky, then. Many people (me included) have to fight with mixed
environments >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón