Re: [info] grub2

Camaleón wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > They have moved on.
>
> They can "move on" without hurting users >:-(

Hmm...  Is there something in particular that makes grub different
from any other random project?  Does every project need to keep every
version of their history available and online for all time?  Most
don't.  How is 'grub' different from say 'grep'?  Should 'grep' keep
all versions of its historical documentation online?  If the distro
happens to have an older version of 'grep' installed but the GNU
version is newer are they bad because they don't keep the older
documentation online?  What makes 'grub' special?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/

> > It doesn't benefit the upstream to keep two versions active.  For
> > better or for worse this is mostly how all upstreams work.
>
> Hey, we are talking about "documentation", not the full project. GRUB
> legacy code will be still available while not actively developed, that's
> fine, at least for me it makes sense. But deleting the online
> documentacion just because the project is old/deprecated... wow, I cannot
> understand that decision.

Isn't that just standard operating procedure?  Don't most projects
update in place?  Should 'gawk' also keep the documentation for older
versions online?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/

> Anyway, GRUB legacy is still installed by default in some major
> distributions (i.e., openSUSE).

Then if it benefits their users isn't the responsibility of OpenSuSE
to provide documentation that matches their distribution?  (And I
would say the same about Debian.)

> > True.  But you can always quote the parts to which you are referring.
>
> (...)
>
> Not always. I can be on non-linux system without access to any "man grub"
> nor "info grub" :-/

For me I wouldn't ever be on such a system.  :-) :-)

Bob