Re: chroot problem

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 05:10, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Zachary Uram wrote:
> in order to get it working i tried to mount the root partition :
> # mount /dev/sda5 /tmp/mnt
>
> that is fine, but when i run chroot i get weird error:
> # chroot /tmp/mnt
> # chroot: cannot execute command '/bin/bash' : Exec format error

Is it possible that your live cd mounts /tmp with the noexec flag?
Try mounting it at a different location such as /mnt.

Is it possible that you have several partitions and /usr/lib or /lib
is on one of them?  In which case you will need to mount those
partitions too.  Check your mounted /mnt/etc/fstab to see what you
normally mount and mount those up too.

I know you are already looking for this but verify that your running
kernel (with uname -a) matches your executable (with file /bin/bash).

If you boot a cdrom that uses grub as the bootloader then you can stop
the process there and redirect grub to the disk installation.  This is
more complicated but I think you get the idea.  Unfortunately most use
syslinux but there are some that use grub but I don't have a pointer
to one off the top of my head.

Bob

Since you are trying to write the grub mbr, also mount the following before doing chroot
assuming that you mounted your root partition at,
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /dev/ /mnt/dev

Go through the fstab of your root partition to see any other essential mount points like /var, /usr are there, then mount them also before doing chroot.