Re: installing a second hard disk?

Just plug it in and format it. If it's not supposed to be bootable and you only plan to format one block device on it (a filesystem, a physical volume, an encrypted volume, ...), you don't have to partition it (I usually don't) although some software *might* get confused by disks without "labels". If you're going for one, consider GUID instead of DOS partition tables (look for "GPT").

There's a hell lot of confusion about ext4, so I wouldn't trust much recommendations unfortunately, you might want to dig the facts for yourself. You can find many other ext3 vs ext4 threads here and there if you really want to read those debates, just make sure to double check the facts and see if the discussion is recent enough. I personally use ext4 without hesitation, for what it's worth.

If your question was more related to the layout of your setup, feel free to give us more information about what you want exactly. If you wanted some pointers about the tools you should use to accomplish this, please say so.

-t