Re: Could a Lenny upgrade break GnuCash 2.2.6-2?

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> Yes, indeed it breaks.  We learned that the hard way.  We repackaged it
> using the newer source.  I do not know how we submit such repacking for
> backports but here are the steps we took to make it happen (edited to
> protect internal information:

> As root, install the needed packages for building
> apt-get -t lenny-backports install devscripts build-essential
> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding a Lenny Backports source repository such as the following:
> deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib non-free
> Make apt aware of the repository:
> apt-get update

Your instructions amended.

> We will need the 2.2.6 source deb to have all the various settings and options used by debian.
> These will be in the debian directory and is really all we need from the source deb.  We will store this in gnucash-2.2.6
> We will also need the 2.2.9 source tarball.  We will store this in gnucash which will become the deb build directory
> mkdir /download/gnucash
> mkdir /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> change the permissions of these two directories to drwxrwxrwx.
> cd /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> The following step MUST not be done by root so open a user console and
> in it run:
> apt-get -t lenny-backports source gnucash gnucash-common
> We need to install dependencies and this must be done as root so return to the root console and do:
> cd /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> apt-get -t lenny-backports build-dep gnucash gnucash-common

> Return to the user console
> cd /download/gnucash
> wget http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
> tar jfvx gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
> mv gnucash{-,_}2.2.9.tar.bz2
> mv gnucash_2.2.9{,.orig}.tar.bz2  - This is the name format debuild will expect

With your amended instructions I got as far as here, but the following
command confuses me.

> cd gnucash-2.2.9

As this directory does not exist it is impossible to change to it.  Do
you mean cd ../gnucash-2.2.6, since the directory I am in at this point
is /download/gnucash, or do you want a new directory guncash-2.2.9 to be
created somewhere?   If the former, it seems to me that there is an
extra ../ and an extra gnucash-2.2.6 -- two of each rather than one.  If
the object of the exercise is to create gnucash-2.2.6, shouldn't the
directories now be so named?