Re: strange freezes or lock ups on memory intensive tasks

H.S. put forth on 7/6/2010 8:15 AM:
> On 06/07/10 02:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> What motherboard?  Integrated video/GPU or add in card?  Have you tried a
>> different power supply yet?
>>

> Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. Chipset: AMD 790GX/SB750
> Onboard graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
> Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A
> LAN: Gigabit, Realtek 8111C
>
> Presently I am using onboard graphics, but till a few weeks ago I was
> using a PCIe Nvidia graphics card and the computer was still freezing
> the same way.

Have you tried a different power supply yet?  Launching an app like FF puts
simultaneous load on the CPU, memory, and hard disk(s).  A marginal PSU can
can cause problems like you are seeing under these conditions if it can't
output the current required by the load.  This is not uncommon.

Hardware is relatively easy, time wise, to test and eliminate as causes of
failure.  Troubleshooting kernels and drivers can be much more time consuming.

If you have another known good PSU swap it in and see if that fixes the
problem.  PSUs are the cheapest components in most PCs, and almost everyone
overlooks the importance of a quality PSU when building a machine.  They just
take whatever comes with the case they order.  Sometimes you get a lemon PSU
this way.  Only way to know is to swap it out.

--
Stan