Re: strange freezes or lock ups on memory intensive tasks

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:15:03 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/07/10 02:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >
> > What motherboard?  Integrated video/GPU or add in card?  Have you
> > tried a different power supply yet?
> >

> Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H. Chipset: AMD 790GX/SB750
> Onboard graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
> Audio chipset: Realtek ALC889A
> LAN: Gigabit, Realtek 8111C
>
> Presently I am using onboard graphics, but till a few weeks ago I was
> using a PCIe Nvidia graphics card and the computer was still freezing
> the same way.

Generally hard freezes of the type you are describing is due to bad
hardware.  I trust ATI as much as I trust M$, but since you had the
same symptoms with the Nvidia, the video card is probably not the
problem. The problems I have seen with this kind of locking are:

memory
video cards

in that order.

I guess there is a remote possibility something is overheating.

Can you get the temperature readouts ?

If it's easy to do, try underclocking the CPU and buses.  Timing on the
MB could be off due to poor design, and running things slower would
improve the margins.

Make sure the bios settings for the memory are correct.  These days
it's supposed to read it from memory, but maybe it got stuck in manual
mode for some reason and the timings are screwed up.

 Brian