Re: AM3 socket Asus M4A87TD EVO motherboard work flawlessly in Debian?

On Saturday 03 July 2010 02:36:48 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 07:52 PM, Greg Madden wrote:
> > On Friday 02 July 2010 08:45:41 H.S. wrote:
> >> I am thinking of getting this one. It appears to be a new one from Asus
> >> and I am wondering if Linux supports it in all ways (networking, sound,
> >> etc.). It is an AMD Socket AM3 motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO.
> >>
> >> Anybody with this mobo can confirm there are no problems with Debian?
> >> For example, someone has mentioned that he can't get audio to work
> >> properly in this.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > The gigabit ethernet might be an issue., not sure about that board ,
> > earlier versions had the RealTek 8111/8168. Not supported in Lenny, or
> > Squeeze. Installed with a pci nic, compiled the driver from source from
> > RealTeks site.
>
> An RTL8111C works fine on my Sid system running 2.6.32-3, so why
> wouldn't it work in Squeeze?
>
> --
> Seek truth from facts.

It may work but I wouldn't assume that it does, from my experience.

My board is the ASUS M4A77TD, lspci says the nic is:
 RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

booting Squeeze, 2.6.32-5, dmesg says:
r8169 0000:02:00.0: firmware: requesting rtl8168-2.fw
~eth0: unable to apply firmware patch. Lenny gives no such warning.

What I understand from my research for this nic , the various revisions to
this family of nic's require different drivers. In Lenny/Squeeze the r6169
modules gets loaded and did not work.

For Lenny I downloaded the source from Realtek's site and compile a r8168
module, it works. I had to blacklist the r8169 driver .

I haven't pursued ,yet, doing this in Squeeze. I loaded Squeeze using a pci
nic.

Here is a list of the cards the Realtek driver, from the enclosed link,
supports:
RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168
RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)
RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E

http://tinyurl.com/2w43ckb

Next task: what card(s) does the Linux r8169 driver support ?

--
Peace,

Greg