Re: After installation, my P2 is still unable to launch Debian

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:29:36PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:

> >> 896 for RAM. For CPU, this is 350 Mhz, but it can do it!
> >>

> > Are you sure? >:-)
> >
> > RAM is okay but CPU is a bit slow, bus limited, non-multithread, single
> > core...
> >
> But it did it some months ago with the same Debian, but with an older
> kernel! How could it be unable to do it now?
> >>>

> >> It does nothing. Exactly the same.
> >>

> > The same cannot be :-)
> >
> > Without X you cannot reach the desktop, you should be at console and see
> > nothing more than a black screen and a "login:_" prompt.
> >
> Without X, I cannot reach the desktop, sure, but, anyway, I can't reach
> the desktop. What I wanted to say that it is the same without desktop is
> that, as, when the login prompt ends after having typed my credentials,
> the only background which appears on my screen do not react to my calls
> for having a console (i.e. Ctrl - Alt - Fx). But if you have another way
> to launch without X, especially directly into console, please tell me.
> I'll try it and test its effect.
> >>>

> >> I can't! I don't have any access to a suitable console!
> >>

> > Then you are still with X loaded. Try to boot in "init 1" (single user
> > mode). I used to boot at "init 3" in openSUSE to get no X environment but
> > dunno how can this be done in Debian :-?
> >
> I tried in single user mode. Then, I can use a console. In this console,
> everything works, but this is still console. I then tried `startx' and I
> encountered exactly the same problem: background with nothing more (but
> I did not receive the splash login screen).

aptitude install sysv-rc-conf.  Run this and you can turn off gdm.  This
way you'll boot to a console even when not using single user mode.

For lightweight desktops / window managers, I recommend you try either
LXDE or Fluxbox.  For Fluxbox, right-click on the desktop to bring up
the system menu.  LXDE has a "start" button, like Windows or KDE.  Both
are very lightweight.

-Rob