Re: After installation, my P2 is still unable to launch Debian

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:46:20 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

(...)

> The PC then rebooted, and, after the login screen, nothing happens.
> There's still a background (the default one), but no icon, no menu, no
> shortcut working. The mouse can be moved, but nothing more. The only
> working shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-F8, which gives a blinking `-', but nothing
> more.

(...)

Have you considered the computer may lack for system resources (such as
RAM or CPU)? Todays DE (GNOME and KDE) are memory hungry, so couldn't be
that your machine is very busy? :-?

- What are your PII specs (RAM and CPU)?
- Try to start the system without X (just console) and check how it
behaves
- Run "top" to watch for high processes consumption of RAM and CPU

If non-GUI environment runs just fine and you still need a DE, think
about switching into a lightweight GUI desktop.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón