After installation, my P2 is still unable to launch Debian

Hi,

Some days ago, I told you about the fact that my Debian's installation
always stalled at 5%. I then re-downloaded another image, burnt it, and
the installation process went fine. (I installed from the CD1 of
`http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.5/i386/iso-cd/'.)

The PC then rebooted, and, after the login screen, nothing happens.
There's still a background (the default one), but no icon, no menu, no
shortcut working. The mouse can be moved, but nothing more. The only
working shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-F8, which gives a blinking `-', but nothing
more.

No warning or error is shown during the `loading' process (i.e. where
you see lot of stuff telling you that kernel `x' is loaded, that package
`y' is progressively being loaded, etc.).

Any idea?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The causes of events are always more important than the events
themselves. (Cicero)