Re: how to set up a wireless access point

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 07:50:53PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:35:38AM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne, 28. 06. 2010 20:53:58 je Mark Allums napisal(a):
> > >
> > >The short answer is most "92-function-in-one" home WiFi routers
> > >will act as an access point,
> >
> > I think that configuring your router as an access point is your best
> > bet too: you'll hardly get the same signal range and stability from
> > your add-in card -- even if it has an external antenna.
>
> Hm, I was hoping I might see better results than from the router. Even
> when the computer connecting wirelessly is only about 4--5 meters
> away, the connection comes and goes. Changing the channel in the
> router manually sometimes helps --- I figure that the network card
> they put into that Mac is of extremely poor quality. Due to the
> retarded design they come with, it's even impossible to put in the
> card I have instead ... Macs suck, they didn't even provide a half-way
> useable keyboard, and a mouse with only one button is completely
> useless ...
>
> Anyway, the other thing is that the router I have doesn't allow me to
> set up a transparent proxy because it's not possible to reroute
> traffic from computers on the LAN to another computer on the LAN.

I set up a Debian-based firewall/router recently.  It doesn't have a
wireless card in it, but if you need help with the firewall rules I
might be able to help.  I used fwbuilder to create it.  I had lots of
trouble with it when I used one of the built-in templates to create my
firewall.  (Maybe a bug, maybe my mistakes).

When I created a firewall from scratch, it worked great.  I used some of
the templates as examples, but I did not build my firewall from a
template.

-Rob