Re: OTF conversion without OpenOffice

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 07/01/2010 06:11 AM, brownh wrote:
>> 4. Antiword-for-Office is a perl script, but when I tried to compile,
>> found I was missing the perl Archive::Zip module. Not knowing what to
>> do about that and too little time to find out, I did not pursue.

> This indicates that you must install libarchive-zip-perl.

Thanks. This seemed to get through that hang in the compile, but now
it hangs because it can't find XML/LibXML.pm. I did a search for
LibXML, and the obvious package, libxml-libxml-common-perl, did not
help (I already had libxml2 installed).

>> 5. Unoconv script is a debian package and seems what I really
>> want. However, when I ran it, I found that it depends on JRE, although
>> "$ aptitude show unoconv" indicates that it depends on python. In any
>> case, I don't happen to have JRE installed in current box, and so did not
>> pursue.
>
> And you couldn't install it?

No, the reason is that I'm working with temporary hardware and wanted
to avoid doing that, but now I did install the Sun JRE. When I try to
use unoconv on a .docx file I get:

  unoconv: UnoException during conversion: File could not be loaded by
  OpenOffice The provided document cannot be converted to the desired
  format.

This sounds like it relies on OpenOffice, which I don't have
installed.

Haines