Re: was getting disk failure errors, repaired the sectors, now what?

On Mi, 30 iun 10, 17:34:22, H.S. wrote:

> So now I know that my backups most probably are not trustworthy, the
> ones from the last four or so days. No problem. I do rolling backups
> using cron and rsync. But what I do now? Do I just delete the backups
> from the last four days and resume regular ones?

Don't you have some method of checking the integrity of you backups?
(http://www.taobackup.com/integrity.html)

>                                                   How risky is the
> partition even though the manufacturer's diagnostic utility reports no
> errors now.

It is considered that a modern drive developing bad sectors visible to
the system[1] is not to be trusted.

[1] drives are remapping bad sectors internally, until they run out of
spare sectors.

> Another thing, I get this when I log in to a console, what is it all about?
> #-------------------------------------------------------------#
> Last login: Wed Jun 30 17:23:40 EDT 2010 from localhost on pts/9
> /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-cpu-checker: No such file or directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-cpu-checker: cannot execute: No
> such file
> or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/20-cpu-checker exited with return code 126
> /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available: No such file or
> directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available: cannot execute:
> No such file or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available exited with return
> code 126
> /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required: line 3:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-reboot-required: No such file or
> directory
> /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required: line 3: exec:
> /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-reboot-required: cannot execute: No
> such file or directory
> run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/98-reboot-required exited with return code 126

This looks like filesystem corruption, did you fsck the drive/partition?

Regards,
Andrei