Re: Host configuration

On Monday 28 June 2010 19:50:02 Mag Gam wrote:
> I manage close to 4k servers at my research lab. Most of these hosts
> are used for research simulations.
>
> My problem is, most of these hosts need to have a very similar
> configuration such as having the same /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
> /etc/hosts.allow and etc...Are there any tools which exist will help
> me do something like this? I don't need anything to change the file
> for me  instead simple alert me that "host abc has a different file
> from the mastercopy"

Tripwire could be useful for this.

However, if it is only a few files, I just suggest a cron job to rsync them
from the master copies regularly.  Or, if you don't want automatic changes, a
simple script to compare hashes with the master, using ssh access and a pass-
phrase-less key that can only run your hash script/program.