Re: How to use btrfs as root?

On Monday 28 June 2010 21:14:32 Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am trying to make a debian sid system with btrfs as root.

Make sure it is Sid.  There were some changes made to dpkg in order to prevent
package meta-data corruption from occurring on btrfs.  Btrfs behaves
differently from most other file systems in the way dirents are returned while
the directory is being modified.  I can't remember the exact dpkg version
these changes were made.

>   I installed debian sid on ext3 root, compiled 2.6.34 kernel. Booted
> to 2.6.34, it mounted a btrfs data partition right.
>   Then I booted into debian live, converted the root to btrfs, rebooted.
>   I got this:
> FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
> (/lib/modules/2.6.34/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol in
> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting btrfs
> (/lib/modules/2.6.34/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol in
> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>   Any idea? Thanks.

Oh, yeah.  I ran into this as well.  The btrfs module needs to load then
crc32c module in order to resolve some symbols.  Unfortunately, this seems to
be done in a way that depmod does not detect, even in Sid.  Because of this,
your initramfs may not have the crc32c module available since it is not
detected as a dependency of the btrfs module.  Add it to /etc/initramfs-
tools/modules to force the initramfs to include that module.

I believe you need a fairly recent initramfs-tools in order for it to
correctly include even the btrfs module, so it maybe be best to use my
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules in its entirety:
btrfs
libcrc32c
zlib_deflate
crc32c

Sorry there's no bug on this.  Perhaps there should be one, but I don't know
if it is a problem with the btrfs module or depmod.

I am currently running btrfs as my root file system.  While I have not noticed
any breakage I could blame specifically on btrfs, I fear that it may be
silently corrupting files in some cases.  You may want to use debsums in a
cron job, tripwire, or some other monitoring.  I had to recover from an
unrelated issue and noticed a few packages that had debsums errors during
diagnosis.