Re: Compiling source code with my own flags

2010/6/28 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
> On 2010-06-28 21:07 +0200, Tomasz Maluszycki wrote:
>
>> I would like to compile packages for my laptop by myself, and I'm
>> tired of changing options in makefile by hand. Maybe is there way to
>> add them by these configure scripts? If I remember correctly packages
>> are built against i386 architecture, and for me it is waste of my CPU
>> capabilities;
>>
>> for example: instead of ' -g -O ' I would like to have ' -O3
>> -std-gnu99 -m128bit-long-double -m64 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse -march=core2
>> '
>
> You don't want -m64 on i386.  Why don't you switch to the amd64
> architecture, where you get at least some of these optimizations by default?

I'm using AMD64 ;P And i don't want some of these optimizations by default,
I would like to have most of them

>> (for me -O3 is stable... I didn't had any problem with it)
>
> Depends on the program, I think.  In general, -O3 produces bigger
> binaries (than -O2) that may or may not run faster.  Mozilla even
> builds with -Os by default.

Yeah, but linkers and compilers have big workload, and they can profit from -O3
Mozilla(or Xulrunner?) could too use -O2 at least

>> is there simple way to do this?
>
> With recent dpkg versions (1.15.7 and newer) have a look at
> dpkg-buildflags(1).

After looking it seems that I can't find way to use this, and I can't
find any example file...

> Sven

Thanks for nice info :)

--