Re: Compiling source code with my own flags

On 2010-06-28 21:07 +0200, Tomasz Maluszycki wrote:

> I would like to compile packages for my laptop by myself, and I'm
> tired of changing options in makefile by hand. Maybe is there way to
> add them by these configure scripts? If I remember correctly packages
> are built against i386 architecture, and for me it is waste of my CPU
> capabilities;
>
> for example: instead of ' -g -O ' I would like to have ' -O3
> -std-gnu99 -m128bit-long-double -m64 -mssse3 -mfpmath=sse -march=core2
> '

You don't want -m64 on i386.  Why don't you switch to the amd64
architecture, where you get at least some of these optimizations by default?

> (for me -O3 is stable... I didn't had any problem with it)

Depends on the program, I think.  In general, -O3 produces bigger
binaries (than -O2) that may or may not run faster.  Mozilla even
builds with -Os by default.

> is there simple way to do this?

With recent dpkg versions (1.15.7 and newer) have a look at
dpkg-buildflags(1).

Sven