Re: Lockups in Xorg with Radeon HD 3450 and different drivers

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:25:34PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Then your best bet is reporting the problem at BTS.

Bug tracking system? Debian's or Xorg's? Out fo curiosity, I tried an Ubuntu
live disc (10.04) with the Radeon 3450 installed. The machien locks up as
well.

Also, I dug out an old Saphire 256MB X1300 card that I had in a junk box. All
is well: 2d, 3d, s2ram. No lockups using 3d xscreensaver, like I had with the
Dell X1300. Ubuntu live works great. So, maybe the Dell cards
really do funny things.

> With open drivers and KMS, Xorg should work "out-of-the-box" without the
> needing of creating or tweaking the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file so if you
> are experiencing such errors (hard locks) it is worth to open a bug
> report.

Yup, I know.

> > Anybody have any ideas why I'm having so much trouble just getting 2D
> > working?
>
> Because "Xorg" is getting updates and changes very quickly.

I figured, these days, getting to a 2d desktop with a 2 year old video card
would not cause a machine to lock hard. Although,I am on unstable. You pays your money
and you takes your chances...

Thanks for the suggestions.