Re: e2fsck: HOWTO tutorial

On 06/22/2010 03:17 AM, Augustin wrote:
On Tuesday 22 June 2010 15:26:12 Ron Johnson wrote:
The *drive*?  No.  e2fsck checks the filesystem data structures
  that have been written onto the drive.

Yes, sorry. I did mean the partition, not the drive.

You need SMART to check the drive.

Yes, I haven't had time to install smartmontools, but I'll do it as
soon as I've fully understood and documented how to use e2fsck.

Hah!

I don't know.  First question, though, is: are you doing this on a
mounted filesystem?  If so, You're Doing It Wrong.

No, it's unmounted. I'm checking an external device.
As to checking mounted devices, the man page is very confusing:
See: http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/112

Yeah, I read that, but I think you're over-analyzing. Just never fsck a mounted fs.

Boot from a Live CD (I like Sidux) and run the e2fsck that comes on
the CD.  The errors might just go away...

no :-/

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Have you googled? Was the fs cleanly unmounted?

--
Seek truth from facts.