Re: e2fsck: HOWTO tutorial

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 15:26:12 Ron Johnson wrote:
> The *drive*?  No.  e2fsck checks the filesystem data structures
>  that have been written onto the drive.

Yes, sorry. I did mean the partition, not the drive.

> You need SMART to check the drive.

Yes, I haven't had time to install smartmontools, but I'll do it as
soon as I've fully understood and documented how to use e2fsck.

> I don't know.  First question, though, is: are you doing this on a
> mounted filesystem?  If so, You're Doing It Wrong.

No, it's unmounted. I'm checking an external device.
As to checking mounted devices, the man page is very confusing:
See: http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/112

> Boot from a Live CD (I like Sidux) and run the e2fsck that comes on
> the CD.  The errors might just go away...

no :-/

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a way to run e2fsck in a strictly non-desctructive,
informative mode only?

The man page is confusing (see ticket above).

Thanks

Augustin.

--
Friends: http://www.reuniting.info/ http://activistsolutions.org/