Re: e2fsck: HOWTO tutorial

On 06/22/2010 12:33 AM, Augustin wrote:

Hello,

I must learn to use e2fsck as I am having some I/O problems on some of
my external drives.
I checked all the existing documentation everywhere I could think of
(including the Debian official documentation and existing HOWTOs from
TLDP), but couldn't find anything that is detailed and explicit enough
for my taste.

I am left with some questions that I hope some of you will be able to
answer.

1st, is there a way to run e2fsck in a strictly non-destructive but
informative way, to check the health of a drive?
(question asked here: http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/112 ).

The *drive*? No. e2fsck checks the filesystem data structures that have been written onto the drive.

You need SMART to check the drive.

2nd, to the dreaded question:

# e2fsck -vfFC0 /dev/sdc1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Error reading block 34308186 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.  Ignore
error?

I don't know. First question, though, is: are you doing this on a mounted filesystem? If so, You're Doing It Wrong.

Boot from a Live CD (I like Sidux) and run the e2fsck that comes on the CD. The errors might just go away...

What are the consequences of answering either way?
As far as I can tell: answering yes will delete the inode, i.e. data
will be lost. Answering no will leave the bad block in place and the
problem will remain.

I have more questions on the topic but this should be a start.

--
Seek truth from facts.