Re: Why does GNOME take so much time to tell that a screensaver-introduced password is erroneous?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:35:37 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use GNOME.
>
> I have noticed that if I type some erroneous password to leave the
> screensaver mode, GNOME takes ~3 or 4 secs. to tell me that it is
> erroneous. If I type the correct password, I am directly sent in my
> session. Why does it take so much time to tell me that a password is
> erroneous? I can even know if I made a typo by looking at how much time
> it takes!

Same thing with xscreensaver.  I think that a lot of software that asks
for a password behaves like this, perhaps to prevent brute-forcing?
I'm not sure if brute-forcing is possible on a GUI, though.

Celejar